LUBBOCK, Texas – For the second consecutive week, Baylor (0-0-2) battled in a double-overtime scoreless draw. This time it got here on the street in opposition to a workforce picked within the preseason to win the Large 12 because the Bears went 110 minutes in opposition to Texas Tech (0-0-1) in Lubbock on Friday evening.
The Crimson Raiders, who’ve the league’s reigning Offensive Participant of the 12 months in Kirsten Davis, took the sphere for the primary time this 12 months after their initially scheduled season opener at Kansas State was postponed final week as a result of coronavirus pandemic.
Baylor got here out aggressive to start out because the Bears outshot the house workforce, 8-4, within the opening interval en path to ending the match with a 16-12 benefit in photographs. Ten of Baylor’s probabilities had been on aim. Junior ahead Taylor Moon almost netted the golden aim twice within the second extra time interval as she took her defender one-on-one earlier than firing a pair of photographs from shut vary. The primary shot went simply excessive of the aim whereas the second barely missed slipping into the underside proper nook of the online.
Defensively, senior Jennifer Wandt continued her stable begin to the 12 months as she completed with a season-high seven saves in her 27th profession shutout. She is now tied with Daybreak Greathouse (1997-00) atop the standings in program historical past.
Reigning Large 12 Defensive Participant of the Week Kayley Ables had the duty of defending Davis for many of the sport. Ables continued her spectacular play as she stepped in and stole the ball from Davis a number of occasions because the Crimson Raider ahead tried to make a transfer towards the aim.
Up subsequent, the Bears are scheduled to journey to Ames to face Iowa State on Sept. 25.
- Julia Phelan made her Baylor debut in opposition to Texas Tech and logged eight minutes.
- For the primary time in program historical past, Baylor’s first two matches of the season went to extra time. In 2009, 2017 and 2019, two of the primary three matches of the season went to further time. The one different time in program historical past that two of the primary three matches went to double extra time was in 2009 (Rice and North Dakota State).
- Jennifer Wandt recorded a season-high seven saves. She now has 212 saves in her profession.
- Three freshmen set profession highs in minutes performed – Sarah Hornyak (110), Gabby Mueller (93) and Mackenzie Anthony (102).
- Taylor Moon completed with a career-high 84 minutes.
STAT OF THE GAME
220 – Variety of minutes Baylor has performed this season with out permitting a aim.
Paul Jobson on the sport…
“Actually happy with our workforce. They got here out on the street and bought some extent in opposition to a extremely good Texas Tech workforce. We had some nice alternatives to attain proper in entrance of the aim that simply barely missed. We made some nice enhancements from final week and can proceed to develop from right here.”